My SCGC H got a big brother! (NSCGD)

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums A General Discussion My SCGC H got a big brother! (NSCGD)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      tadol
      Senior Moderator

Haven’t had enough time with it to say much other than “I LOVE IT!!!”, but I had to get a pic of the siblings –

koa scgc h and f

Isn’t the family resemblance wonderful?       😉    But I think I’ll have to find prettier tuners for the F – not a big chrome fan –

Frozen Rat
        Participant

Those are very pretty. What is that top wood? I can’t quite place it in mental library.

Santa Cruz 00 — Goodall 000 — Martin 00-28

haasome
          Participant

What a pair of beauties! Perfectly matched.

– Paul –

tadol
            Senior Moderator

They’re all koa –

Hank
              Participant

Beautiful Tad…Your right about the tuners. Gold or Snakewood ?
                Wonderful match !!

indexless
                Keymaster

Play it…..let’s hear it

Matt Hayden
                  Participant

Those are both gorgeous.  Koa really is amazingly beautiful…..

If you’d like lighter tuners, the Gotoh SXN510V open back tuners are good and a direct replacement for many closed tuners. They also mount with a screw in bevel like a closed back tuner so they’re easy to swap.  Just put a set on a Martin OM and am liking them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                    tadol
                    Senior Moderator

They’re 16 yr old Schallers, so I will be looking at the Gotohs, gold body (gold seems to go well with koa) and right now I’m thinking ebony buttons, but need to think about it a bit.  Ivoroid might work nice, too – are yours the 1:21, or a little coarser?

It’s got a warm, and sweet, although gentle, voice.  It’s a very personally satisfying sound, but I imagine it would not be much of a contender in a group setting – which the H isn’t either. It came with a pretty fresh set of Martin Lifespan lights, so I’m not ready to change them yet, but I’d really like to try my fav SCGC lights on it – it may even be a good candidate for the mediums –

Whats also interesting is that it has a LR Baggs Anthem (pretty sure) which sounds rather different from another guitar I thought has an Anthem too – guess I need to look into it at some point. Maybe these have batteries? Anyway, whats interesting is the amplified tone of this guitar is really nice, although I need to figure out if I can get the string to string balance adjusted a tiny bit. May be the reason to try other strings. But the strong midrange warmth and clarity of this guitar may be a really good fit playing amped with my friends – with a Tele on lead, and a really strong clean bass, this might fill in and be a really tasty rhythm instrument, if I decide I’m willing to gig with it –  but I still have lots to learn about this amplification and pickup stuff –

Daniel
                      Participant

Hi Tad,

Beautiful instruments!

I just put a set of Rubners on a mandolin.  I really like them.

Daniel

tadol
                        Senior Moderator

Wow – never heard of them, but they look really nice! Unfortunately, they don’t look terribly drop-in for the Schallers –

I’m planning to be at the Cremona Music festival in September, and am really looking forward to seeing what’s happening in the guitar (and violin) building scene over there!

Matt Hayden
                          Participant

One thing about the Gotoh tuners – the SXN510 and SXN510V are different insofar as the SXN510 has 15/16″ mounting hole spacing and SXN510V has 1″ mounting hole spacing.  The latter is usually easier to mount using the existing screw hole….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Matt Hayden.
                        Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.