I appears that someone forgot to cut the hole in the sound board strut that bloc

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company I appears that someone forgot to cut the hole in the sound board strut that bloc

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mbabin5288
      Participant

I went to adjust the truss rod on my Tony Rice Indian Rosewood guitar and noticed that the bracing was blocking access to the truss rod nut ( I assume the guitar has one) and that in my other SC guitars a hole was drilled through the bracing to allow a wrench to adjust the truss nut. Is this covered by warranty as it appears to be a factory defect???
        Thanks for you attention.

Marc Babin Guitarist Emeryville California

tadol
        Senior Moderator

Are you sure? I don’t think any of my SC have a drilled brace – just an access hole in the neck block where a socket fits –  but I do not have a Tony Rice –  I’m also in Berkeley –

Matt Hayden
          Participant

The truss rod adjustment nut and hole are angled up, so you’ll need to use a 1/4” drive socket with an extension and aim it at the block at an upward angle.  I think it’ s a 3/8” socket.

I’ve not seen an SCGC with a Martin-style hole in the brace.

Here are some inspection-camera pictures of an SCGC truss rod by Frank Ford:
            http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Data/TrussRods/trussrods6.html

Richard Hoover
            Senior Moderator

Thanks Tad and Matt!

Those are accurate and helpful answers. We have NEVER drilled an access hole through the fret board brace.  It      wouldn’t be necessary nor would it even it line up with our truss rod.

To mbabin 5288: Regarding your other “SC guitar’s” that do have truss rod access holes; the only explanations I can imagine is that they have been modified, or heaven forbid, they are counterfeit!

I just noticed that you have left a phone number. I will give you a call and try to help solve the mystery. Thank you!

Best,                                                                                                                                                                                                           Richard

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.