2012 SCGC Vintage Artist For Sale

Welcome to SCGC Players Forum Forums Buy and Sell 2012 SCGC Vintage Artist For Sale

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      lostsailor
      Participant

Highly figured beeswing mahogany back and sides. Adirondack top with very subtle toner. Adirondack braces attached with hide glue. Herringbone trim. Ivoriod bound fingerboard and headstock. Waverly nickel butterbean tuners. Neck width at the nut is 1 & 11/16″. The neck has a moderate “V” profile with a slim feel. Strap button attached at heel. Hiscox Liteflite Artist case. A stunningly beautiful guitar, and the best sounding Vintage Artist I’ve ever played. A new one with somewhat similar specs currently at Northern Lights Music in New Hampshire has a price tag of $7899. Asking $4300 plus shipping.

Miamimart
        Participant

Would this work well as a flat picking bluegrass cannon?  I played one recently and was VERY impressed but wasn’t sure if it would be good as a lead instrument – would there be enough volume to really cut through

indexless
          Keymaster

Welcome Miami! You’ll find a lot of fans here for the VA.

lostsailor
            Participant

Hello Miamimart,

I haven’t played this guitar in a bluegrass band setting, but I’ll give you my take on your question.

I think it all depends on your playing style, the makeup of your band, and the sound you’re seeking.

Remember that Richard Hoover originally created the Vintage Artist specifically for Doc Watson. (I believe it was to be called the Doc Watson model, but Gallagher got there first, so Mr. Hoover graciously decided to call his new model the Vintage Artist)

Doc didn’t play in a bluegrass band, but he was all over the neck of his guitars, and that’s where this guitar shines. Every note, every string, every fret up & down is balanced and musical. I think that’s partly why these are so popular with session players.

If your bluegrass band requires the kind of rhythm guitar support of, say, Jimmy Martin (a G-run that thunders like a summer storm in Indiana), this may not be the guitar for you. You want the closest sound you can afford to a vintage D-28, to give you that iconic whoosh of air that weakens the knees of anyone afflicted with a true love of classic bluegrass.

Is it a great lead guitar? Absolutely. Clarence White, Norman Blake and David Grier each made remarkable records with an old D-18, clearly one of the inspirations for the Vintage Artist.

I hope this will help to answer your questions.

Miamimart
              Participant

Thank you for the information. I’m not as concerned with the rhythm performance as I am with the performance up and down the neck and whether it will cut through as a lead instrument.  Thank you for the information.  I am seriously considering the guitar.

Marty

Miamimart
                Participant

How is the overall volume of the guitar? Would it be comparable to a Collings D1A in overall performance? My guess is that is sweeter and more balanced than the Collings.  Any other info would be appreciated.  Thanks again.

Marty Raymondville

“It’s Always a Party With Marty” @facebook

Miamimart
                  Participant

Marty Raymon

Hank
                      Participant

You might take an interest in the SCGC Da-1 braz/ sitka available at Artisan Guitars !!
                        Loud ..Clear..Balanced….a wonderful fingerboard.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Hank.
                      lostsailor
                      Participant

Hi Marty,

I would call it a very loud guitar. That’s my opinion, of course, and everyone has a different set of ears. I have a friend with a refinished late-1939 D-18, and my Vintage Artist is every bit as loud as his guitar. I’m not familiar enough with the sound of a Collings D1A to be much help in that regard. I’m sure there are some very knowledgeable players on this forum who could weigh in on that if you put the question out there. The few Collings dreadnoughts that I’ve played seemed to be quite bright and forward sounding. I’ve read more than one post from other players who feel that, as you say, the Vintage Artist is a sweeter sounding, more balanced guitar. But that’s secondhand information, so please take it for what it’s worth.

A Footnote: an unforeseen work situation has called me out of town for a few weeks, and I was unable to bring the guitar with me. As a result, the soonest I would be able to ship it would be mid-July. I thought of pulling the ad temporarily, but since not everyone is in a hurry, I thought I’d leave it up–with this footnote–and try to respond to any inquiries. I sincerely regret the inconvenience, and realize that the time factor could be a deal-breaker. Some things are simply beyond our control. I don’t know how to post photos on this forum, but I do have a number of pics of the guitar on my computer that I could attach to an email.

Thanks!

Miamimart
                        Participant

That information very very helpful.  Thank you!   I am seriously interested in the VA as the guitar may very well what I’m looking for. I am not strictly a bluegrass player but want an instrument that is versatile for a variety of acoustic lead chores.  The delay is fine with me as it will give me time to put together the funds. I’m trying to move a few pieces of my own so I don’t have to dip into the rainy day fund.  Let me know how it goes and we’ll be in touch soon. And I’d love to see some photos.

Marty Raymon

815 858 5602

miamimart@sbcglobal.net

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.